Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Click on Slideshow to View Large Pics

Thursday, August 13, 2009

"He Calls Them Each by Name" by Elisa


I sometimes find myself thinking of God as if He were like a mere human. I project my own limitations onto Him, the Creator of the universe. And He says to me, “Think outside of the box. Suspend your preconceptions about me. Let me help you.” And He reaches down, lifts me out of the box, and gives me a fresh perspective.

Last night was one of those times. As Blaine, the boys, and I were lying in the front yard, gazing up at the brightly starlit mountain sky watching a meteor shower, this verse came to mind: “He counts the number of the stars; He calls them each by name” Psalm 147:4. Even though I know better, a part of me says, “That’s impossible, it can’t be done! Nobody has ever been able to count all the stars!” But Isaiah 55:8 says, “’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways,’ says the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”

This morning, with thoughts of last night’s spectacular light show still fresh in my mind, I read Psalm 33 in my daily reading in the One Year Bible. My spirit leaped for joy as I read verse 6: “By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of His mouth.”
I was filled with awe and amazement that God would have orchestrated that very verse for me to read the morning after a meteor shower—a small glimpse of His greatness that He was delighted to reveal to me. And He reveals Himself more and more every day as I walk with Him, just as He promises He will do with anyone who asks with a sincere heart.

In Revelation 3:20 Jesus says, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him and he with me.” He is a gentleman. He doesn’t barge the door down. He extends the invitation to dine with Him, but it’s up to us if we choose to accept it. If He loves His creation and He calls the stars each by name, how much more does He love you?

1 comment:

BarbRey said...

Very beautifully put dear daughter. Jesus Christ is divine. To witness the "sky show" that he put on was truly a blessing. Mother